Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Dress Code

Warning: This blog is just some random thought process I had while sitting in my car.

School. In the last week I’ve seen a minimal amount of my high school classes. I can’t say I’m too disappointed in the fact, mainly because stress levels have depleted. I miss the atmosphere. Somehow, I actually enjoy that place. A small private school that I disagree with on several aspects is missed by me, a somewhat rebellious teenage drummer. Most people when they see me around think, “who’s that long haired punk wearing a white tee, sweat pants, and a bandana around his head? Why does he wear those rings and cross necklace. Is he begging for attention?”

Just the opposite actually! I don’t want attention like most people assume I do. I dress the way I do because of two major reasons: comfort (which is a must) and religious reasons. Most people call the second one false or even just an excuse. These are my reasons.

Comfort. I’m a teenager. I need to feel good, and if sweat pants and a light shirt make me feel better, I’m going to wear it no matter what. I mean, why would I try to look “good” according to the world’s standards and be uncomfortable? I can’t afford the nice expensive clothes so many people wear, so I make do with what I can buy.

Religion. Something tells me most people wouldn’t believe this when they read this, but this is the truth. I’m not trying to be prideful in saying that because that destroys my entire reasoning about this subject. Humility is the entire point of it. Let me explain a little bit. My casual clothing is a constant choice. As many know, the last year I’ve changed from constantly wearing button up shirts into wearing tees and sweats rather than khaki shorts for the most part. I still wear them when it’s hot, but whatever. I wear these clothes because it, in my head, means I’m not trying to be noticed. Yes I know, I love to laugh and that gets me plenty of attention wherever I go. But I don’t want to seem like I’m requiring it. My rings-One is a class ring, which is a reminder for respect. There’s a WWJD inscription underneath the rock, and I see it every time I put it on. The wedding band around my finger is a symbol of celibacy. It shows me that I will eventually marry someone whom I respect more than anyone on the face of the earth, and I want to respect her by not going around sleeping with random girls that I find or have feelings for. The cross necklace was a gift from my dad. It’s a symbol I have that when I put it on in the morning I remember to be a servant of Christ today. My long hair has meaning whether (especially my parents) believe it or not. I have to take a good five minutes in the morning drying my hair. To me it expresses my need of patience with myself and with others. It gives me the feeling of “I don’t have to rush everything. Not everything can be rushed.” I know most think that’s ridiculous, but I’m willing to post it on the internet. It’s not ridiculous to me. The last thing I really have a reason for wearing is the bandana. When I look at myself in the mirror in the morning I see a creation that, even though I may not like, God made and loves to (literally) death. I wear the bandana around my head because it’s my own crown. I wear it because Christ wore the crown of thorns. I’m not a religious nutjob so I don’t own my own thorny cross, but I do wear this bandana for the reason of being Christlike. I’m not a strong believer at this stage of my life and I do need constant reminders. These few constant daily reminders help initiate my day to a good start. I’m not saying I’m righteous for jewelry and a headband, but I’m professing to the world that I want to do a better job.

“6 If you point these things out to the brothers, you will be a good minister of Christ Jesus, brought up in the truths of the faith and of the good teaching that you have followed. 7 Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. 8 For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.”

1 Tim 4:6-8 (NIV)

These are my reasons and this is my faith. Not asking you to understand, but to respect.

2 comments:

  1. dud this is so awesome. i'm so proud of you right now...ok that sound kinda strange but you understand.

    ReplyDelete